The earliest known use of what we now recognise as the Alresford Coat of Arms was in the 18th century on the Beadles's staff which was presumably part of the Town's early equipment held by the bailiff and burgesses. The arms appear below the Hanoverian Coat of Arms (post-1714 and pre-1801 version) and are shown left. There are known to be two such staffs, originally owned by private individuals, but passed into the custodianship of the Town Trustees and currently on display in the Library.
The Coat of Arms also appears on the Constable's batton and again the origin and date are unknown but it is believed that it is pre-1865. The batton is in the care of the Town Council and is currently on display in the Library. The Coat of Arms is similar to that on the Beadle's staff with minor variations in the shape and form of the chequy.
The Coats of Arms from the Beadle's Staff and the Constable's Staff are drawings based upon tracings made by Roy Robins.
The most recent use of the Coat of Arms is on the tablet erected on the wall of the Wessex Pharmacy to celebrate the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee in 2002 and the new town signs on the East, West and South approach roads to the town in 2005. On both of these the arms are represented correctly and in their correct colours.
Anybody who wishes to use the Town's Coat of Arms should first check with the and the Town Trustees.
This page is based upon the original work and research undertaken by Roy Robins to whom we give our thanks.