Opposite the West Door of the church are five grave stones dating from the Napoleonic Wars. the graves are of four French Officers and the wife of another officer. According to historic records, in 1757 there were 300 French prisoners of war living in Alresford. Britain was frequently at war with France or Spain during much of the 18th century and prisoners taken on parole were often sent to Alresford, one of eleven parole towns in Hampshire.
© www.alresford.org - 2003-18